Ho-Am Art Museum is Korea’s largest private museum with more than 15,000 precious objects, including irreplaceable national treasures. The museum building, inspired by traditional Korean architecture, is complemented by Hee Won garden complex. Written in an accessible simple style, this is an introduction to the museum holdings and current status.
The museum building is inspired by the traditional lines and grace of Korean architecture. The Hee Won garden complex, a classical Korean garden, is surrounded by hills which appear in a soft hue of pink during the spring due to the cherry blossoms.
This book is an introduction to the museum, its history and holdings and current status. The book by Cha Ik-jong and Min Byung-rae began as an introductory volume for youngsters, it was translated by Moon-ok Lee and Nicholas Duvernay, then edited and updated by Sajid Rizvi, Commissioning Editor, Saffron Korea Library.
The Ho-Am Art Museum was established in April 1982, initially as an art gallery, with about 1,200 pieces of Korean works of art that were collected over a course of 30 years by the late Ho-am Byeong-cheol Lee, founder of the Samsung Group.
The authors, Cha Ik-jong and Min Byung-rae followed the museum’s development over a long period and in the process acquired a firsthand knowledge of the collection.
- Introduction 11
- Highlights of the Collections: Art of the Joseon Era 17
- An Ink Drawing of a Child Pulling a Donkey: Dongjakyeonryeodo 동자견려도 19
- An Ink Drawing of Flowers, Birds and Puppies: Hwajogujado 화조구자도 21
- A Panoramic Scene of Geumgang 금강 Mountain: Geumgangjeondo 금강전도 23
- An Ink Drawing of Inwang 인왕 Mountain After Rainfall: Inwangjesaekdo 인왕제색도 24
- A Drawing of a Ferocious Tiger Under a Pine Tree: Songhamaenghodo 송하맹호도 27
- An Eight-Panel Folding Screen Featuring the King’s Visit to Suweon 수원
- Suweonneunghaengdopalgokbyeong 수원능행도팔곡병 28
- An Ink Drawing of the Scenery on the Path Home: Gwirosansudo 귀로산수도 36
- Calligraphy by Chusa Kim Jeong-hee 추사 김정희 38
- A Ten-Panel Folding Screen Featuring the Ten Entities Known for Long Life 40
- A Picture of a Tiger and Magpies: Hojakdo 호작도 43
- Ceramics and Crafts: A Gourd-Shaped Celadon Kettle with Copper-Red Lotus Patterns 45
- A Celadon Pillow Shaped Like Two Lions 46
- A Celadon Incense Burner Shaped Like a Dragon Turtle 48
- A Buncheong 분청 Porcelain Vase Inlaid with Aquatic Dragons 51
- A Moon Pot 52
- A Blue and White Porcelain Pot Adorned with Many Fish 55
- A White Porcelain Pot Decorated with Clouds and a Dragon 56
- A Buddha Sitting Cross-Legged and Deep in Thought 58
- A Flagpole Shaped Like a Dragon’s Head: Yongdubodang 용두보당 60
- A Bronze Bell That Contains Marbles 63
- The Gold Crowns and Trinkets of Gaya 가야 64
- Gaya Geumgwan 가야금관 67
- A Bronze Building Ornament Shaped Like a Dragon’s Head: Geumdongyongdutosu 금동용두토수 68
- A Decorative Comb of the Unified Silla 신라 71
- List of Korean National Treasures 73
- Index 91